WHAT IS CPAP?
The CPAP mask, short for continuous positive airway pressure, is a commonly prescribed device and is the frontline treatment for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.
How Does CPAP Work?
The CPAP mask increases air pressure in the throat by providing a constant stream of air through a mask worn while sleeping. This steady stream of air prevents the airway from collapsing, allowing snorers to breathe easily and consistently, while eliminating the breathing pauses caused by sleep apnea.
The CPAP mask consists of a small air pressure generator connected by a hose to a snug fitted nasal mask or full-face mask. Most machines are small, lightweight and relatively quiet.
In order to be effective, the CPAP mask should be worn every night for the entire time you are sleeping.
What Are The Benefits Of CPAP Therapy?
CPAP therapy has many benefits including:
- Non-invasive treatment for snoring and sleep apnea
- Restores your normal sleep patterns and increases the amount of time slept so that you wake up feeling more refreshed and have more energy throughout the day
- Improves your ability to think, make decisions and concentrate throughout the day
- Improves overall mood and quality of life
- Reduces or eliminates the sound of your snoring
- Decrease or prevent high blood pressure
What Results Can I Expect?
Although it may take time to become comfortable using the CPAP device, many patients report feeling better once they begin treatment. Patients see an improvement in sleep quality, alertness and a decrease in daytime sleepiness with regular use. For best results, CPAP should be used for at least 7.5 hours each night.