Am I a Candidate for Balloon Sinuplasty?
™ is a revolutionary procedure that can correct the side effects associated with chronic sinusitis
. Many patients have difficulty determining whether or not their symptoms qualify them to be candidates of the Balloon Sinuplasty™ procedure. The highest indication of your candidacy for Balloon Sinuplasty™ is the severity, duration and frequency of your sinus infections and symptoms. Sinusitis is defined as the inflammation of the sinus passages in the nose. However, there are different forms of sinusitis that affect a patient’s candidacy for the Balloon Sinuplasty™ procedure. Those suffering from acute sinusitis have infections that last for less than a month and are significantly less severe when compared with other sinusitis classifications. Acute sinusitis sufferers are generally not considered candidates for Balloon Sinuplasty™. Chronic sinusitis sufferers display symptoms for more than three months and are unable to treat themselves with prescription medications, qualifying them for Balloon Sinuplasty™ treatment.Many of the symptoms of chronic sinusitis are related to other sicknesses, therefore it is important for you to consult your doctor to determine if what you are suffering from can be corrected with the Balloon Sinuplasty™ procedure or if you are afflicted with another illness.Some of the most common symptoms of chronic sinusitis that would qualify you as a candidate for Balloon Sinuplasty™ are:
• Nasal and throat congestion
• Facial pressure and pain, as well as headaches
• Bad breath and aching teeth
• Coughing and congestion throughout the night
• Amplified asthma symptoms and dizziness
• Runny nose
• Weakened sense of smell in extreme casesIf you suffer from any combination of the above symptoms, you could be a candidate for the Balloon Sinuplasty™ procedure. Patients are able to return to their normal activities in as little as two days after the procedure, as this is a minimally-invasive, outpatient treatment for chronic sinusitis.
If you are still unsure of whether or not you are a candidate for the Balloon Sinuplasty™ procedure, take the Sinus Quiz on our website. While this quiz cannot provide a definitive diagnosis of your symptoms, it can contribute to your doctor’s full diagnosis.
It is very important for you to discuss all of your possible treatment options with your ear, nose and throat doctor; he or she will be able to diagnose you and determine the best solution moving forward. For more information on chronic sinusitis and the Balloon Sinuplasty™ procedure, contact us to schedule a consultation.